zondag 6 januari 2013

Three Kings Day




Three Kings day today, and we have mom's handmade versions of Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar standing in our livingroom. Aswell as their camel. They (too) are part of the large nativity set mom made for us...


When my sister and I were kids mom always baked a Three Kings Cake. In which a bean wrapped in silverfoil was hidden. The person who got the bean was King for the day & before we got to eating the cake we made a crown out of gold paper and decorated it with glitter or silverfoil balls.

We always made two crowns & there would be two beans in the cake. Miraculously my sister and I would (each year) be the ones to find one in our slice :) Never was amazed by this as a child but now feel like smiling at moms effort of making our day. Great memories :D

We do not have a cake this year but it's still a special day.



HAPPY (belated) NEW YEAR btw. I believe I completely forgot to say that in my last post on December 31, oh well better late then never.

There was a lot of fireworks to be seen and heard here, to celebrate the new year coming in. I went to bed early as I was really tired. But mom made some cool pictures of it & I've added one here so you can enjoy it too.

Chloë and Charlotte where really frightened by all the noise. Chloë hid under the duvet near my feet. We found a few bits of firework in our garden the next morning and thankfully they did not set off some more fireworks the next day, cause it rained a lot.
So the girls relaxed again.


Above is a photo of our New Year's mobile.  It's a branch on which we hang some crochet mushrooms, a cookie in the shape of a horseshoe & a few felted snowballs. We have it above our coffeetable for New Year's day & good luck. I wanted to show you before but I forgot.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately. There is little on the television that's worth watching & though I wanted to do some crafting, I did not do so (just yet). I read a few romances from my tbr pile and 2 cookbooks. I borrowed one of the cookbooks from my sister, it was a Christmas present of hers. So I have a few new ideas lined up for the kitchen, including a vegetable lasagna. Not much else has been happening here at Pale Rose. We've done some shopping, had tea and a Danish pastry at a little restaurant & I read some more books...

I did get a pretty card from Jeannie (from the US) which I love, I'll add a picture of it here. It's a pale pink card with ivory and gold leaves on it.  Thank you J.


That's it for now, until next time.

Best wishes,
Jo's Daughter

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...