maandag 19 november 2012

Lavender Lemonade & Surgery



We have a large lavender plant in our back garden that always flowers beautifully. This year was no exception. We picked the flowers and dried them earlier, so we could use them for all sorts of things, year round. It's always handy to have a pot full of dried lavender, ready for cooking. One thing I like to do with lavender is make a lavender lemonade...


I found a recipe for it online some time ago & have been perfecting it to my own taste.
It's simple to make and has a perfumed flavor that I love, without tasting like an actual perfume! If you too like to try it here's my version of it:

1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/4 cup of dried lavender flowers
1/2 cup of sugar
1 liter of boiling water

Combine all in a teapot. Leave to infuse for a good 10 minutes, siff and serve cold.

 
 
When I went to check on the lemonade after the 10 minutes, layers had formed in the teapot. Almost a red white and blue stripe (see picture on top) :D Of course after stirring it was just a pale pink, but still very pretty. Perfect to serve on a girls night. Which I did not have, but dad and I loved the lemonade :D It does not have to be the middle of summer in order to enjoy a glass of homemade lemonade, I think.
 
The embroidered tea towel (shown in the pictures) we got at a charity shop. We brought them some items a while ago and then I saw this pretty teatowel. Handmade with a lot of love & only 50 eurocents. Mom gave it a good wash, though it looked ok & now we place it under our baking and stuff. The pink really accentuates the color of the lemonade I think, lovely.
 
 
 

Then I read a few pages in my book. I'm reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë again. Such an intense story, couldn't keep my mind totally focused on the book though. Kept thinking about Chloe & Charlotte, they are at the vets.

I treated myself to another glass of the lavender lemonade & a chocolate that I got from my sister when I visited her thursday last week. I had intended to save it for a special occasion but now was as good a time as any ;) Somehow I always long for chocolate when I experience deep feelings, good or bad. Do you have that aswell?


On the inside of the paper wrapper was a little surprise. It is a quote that says:

Remain true to yourself, for it is from authenticity that you draw your strength. - Daniel Herrero

It made me smile & for a second or two I forgot about our cats having surgery. They had to be spayed you see, being 6 months old and all. I was really nerveus about it, we all were. It's surgery! and they are so small, still kittens. It seemed to have gone ok though & the vet called us and said we can pick them up in about a half an hours time. I imagine them to be a bit poorly but hopefully allright. So I'll finish this post and get ready to bring them home again.

Do you have lavender in your garden? Ever make your own lemonade? Love Wuthering Heights? or quotes?

Best wishes,
Jo's Daughter

3 opmerkingen:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...