woensdag 26 september 2012

Pumpkins & White Bean Soup




Last year we bought a pretty white pumpkin at the local flowershop. When it's life came to an end we "burried" it in the back garden. To our wonderful suprise new life emerged from it this year in the shape of a pumpkin plant. It grew and grew & gave us many yellow flowers (see picture). After a while small pumkins started to form...





It was a magical sight that delighted us. Some pumpkins did not make it to adulthood, they started to rot while still on the plant. But we got three large white pumkins from our beautiful plant. Which we placed on a baby blue plate along with some pincones I got from my sister. I think they look beautiful and hope that next year they will give us a similar joyful experience.



In our garden grows a large tarragon plant. It's so big that we can't all turn it into vinegar. So I went online to see if I could find some recipes with tarragon that we could try. I found one for a white bean and tarragon soup. It appealed to me so I made it for us. With all the grey skies and bits of rain it was the perfect time to make it. A boiling pan of soup gives you such a warm and comfroting feeling, don't you think.



You need:

2 jars of white beans
2 tblsp butter
1 tblsp oil
2 medium onions
1 large carrot
1 clove of garlic
4 cups of vegetable stock
1/4 cup of tarragon
salt & pepper to taste

Heat the butter and oil in a soup pan. Bake the onion, carrot and garlic about 5 minutes.
Add 1 jar of beans, the stock and tarragon. Cook about 15 minutes. Season to taste and blend the whole thing. Add the other jar of beans and cook for a bit. Serve with fresh bread and if your not a veggie, like me, some bacon.



Do you like pumpkins? Grow them yourself? Are you a fan of homemade soup?

Best,
Jo's Daughter





2 opmerkingen:

  1. My dad has grown pumpkins before, the big orange kind. We've also grown squash very similar to the kind you have in your picture (we call them squash). I've never had tarragon though. I've always wanted to try it but have never come across it. Maybe I should order some seeds and grow it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Oh those orange pumpkins are lovely! Do you bring them inside for a Halloween display? These are rather small, perhaps they are squash instead of pumpkins... I still call them pumpkins though. I brought them in for an autumny feel :D

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...